After the tragedy of the Sandy Hook shooting, Shannon Watts was moved to start the Moms Demand Action Facebook group to call all Americans to do more to reduce gun violence. With a 6 million supporters and a chapter in every state, Shannon continues to be an advocate for this cause. She is also a board member for Emerge America, which recruits and trains women to run for office. Join Shannon and Alaa as they discuss this and more.
Being At The Table means:
“If you don't have a seat at the table, you are probably on the menu. And too often in this country, women and children are on the menu, because we don't have a seat at the table” – Shannon Watts
Highlights from the Conversation:
- The influence that mothers have on lawmakers as the spending decision makers of the household
- The superhero power of the red shirt
- The decrease of support from state senators on the NRA, due to the work of the group
- The correlation of domestic violence to gun violence
- The moral imperative of having women run for office
- Exploring the relationship between a sense of security and gun ownership
- The failure of the NRA to organize in the same way as the Moms Demand Action
- The creations of an anti-racist movement though the organization
- And More…
About the Guest:
A mom herself, Shannon Watts is the founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America—the nation’s largest grassroots gun violence prevention group, with chapters in all 50 states and a powerful network of volunteers and survivors that has successfully effected change at the local, state and national level.
About the Host:
Alaa Murabit is an award-winning medical doctor, global security strategist, women’s rights advocate and United Nations High-Level Commissioner on Health, Employment & Economic Growth and Sustainable Development Goal Global Advocate.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening to our podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and think that others could benefit from listening, please share it using the social media buttons on this page.
Do you have some feedback or questions about this episode? Leave a comment in the section below!
Subscribe to the podcast
If you would like to get automatic updates of new podcast episodes, you can subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts or Stitcher. You can also subscribe in your favorite podcast app.
Leave us an Apple Podcasts review
Ratings and reviews from our listeners are extremely valuable to us and greatly appreciated. They help our podcast rank higher on Apple Podcasts, which exposes our show to more awesome listeners like you. If you have a minute, please leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts.