Founder and CEO of Affectiva, Dr. Rana el Kaliouby joins Alaa on this week’s episode to discuss bringing emotional intelligence to technology, creating her company, Affectiva, and leading with conviction and empathy.
Being At The Table means:
“It's not just being at the table; it has to be exercising that voice… You can't be in a position of influence or power and decide to be silent.” - Dr. Rana el Kaliouby
Highlights from the Conversation:
- Advocating for humanizing technology before it dehumanizes us
- Her inspiration to start this journey into emotional AI
- Collaborating with the Autism Research Centre in Cambridge and being offered a position at MIT Media Lab with Rosalind Picard
- Starting her company Affectiva with Rosalind and taking of the role of CEO
- Being a role model as an Egyptian woman in a field dominated by white and male.
- Cultivating the self-confidence and self-compassion to believe in ourselves and those life changing moments
- The power of empathy in leading and making changes
- And more.
About the Guest:
AI Thought Leader Dr. Rana el Kaliouby is the Co-founder and CEO of Affectiva and the author of Girl Decoded, a memoir that explores her quest to reclaim our humanity by bringing emotional intelligence to technology. She has been recognized as one of Fortune’s 40 under 40 and by Forbes as one of America’s top 50 women in tech.
About the Host:
Alaa Murabit is an award-winning medical doctor, global security strategist, women’s rights advocate and United Nations High-Level Commissioner on Health, Employment & Economic Growth and Sustainable Development Goal Global Advocate.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening to our podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and think that others could benefit from listening, please share it using the social media buttons on this page.
Do you have some feedback or questions about this episode? Leave a comment in the section below!
Subscribe to the podcast
If you would like to get automatic updates of new podcast episodes, you can subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts or Stitcher. You can also subscribe in your favorite podcast app.
Leave us an Apple Podcasts review
Ratings and reviews from our listeners are extremely valuable to us and greatly appreciated. They help our podcast rank higher on Apple Podcasts, which exposes our show to more awesome listeners like you. If you have a minute, please leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts.